Onion TartUpdated: 22 June 2012 | Author: Bulla Dairy Foods
Fresh from the pantry
Method ( pre-heat oven 200c)
- Line a large baking tray with paper. Place the pastry on the baking paper and brush the edge of 1 pastry sheet with a little beaten egg and join the two pastry sheets together.
- Using a sharp knife cut the pastry into a large rectangle 45cm X 15cm. Brush the edges with a little egg and make a 3cm wide pastry border with the pastry off cuts. Decorate border with a diamond pattern using the knife.
- Place a piece of baking paper in the centre of the pastry and fill with baking beans or rice.
- Blind bake in the pre-heated oven 200c for 10 minutes, Remove and cool. Press down centre of the pastry to remove air.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over a low heat and brown the garlic and brown onions well 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and chopped rosemary simmer gently for a further 10 minutes. Cool slightly
- Whisk together the Bulla Thick Cup cream and eggs.
- Layer the sliced Spanish onion over the base of the cooked pastry and spoon over dollops of cottage cheese, drizzle over half the cream and egg mixture. Bake for 10 minutes remove and drizzle over the remaining cream and egg mixture and top with spoonfuls of caramelised onions. Bake for a further 10 minutes
- Serve warm or cold sliced garnished sprigs of rosemary.
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 2 sheets of pre-prepared puff pastry
- 1 egg - beaten
Try the sun-dried tomato tomato or Sweet Chilli cottage cheese as an alternative.