Coffee and Hazelnut TorteUpdated: 9 April 2014 | Author: Bulla Dairy Foods
Morning tea treat!
Method (Pre-heat oven 180c)
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Add the sugar a little at a time beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.
- Fold through the flour, baking powder and vinegar using a large metal spoon.
- Finally fold through the coffee powder, hazelnuts and grated chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 24cm spring form tin making a dip in the centre to ensure a flat top.
- Bake the cake in the pre-heated oven 170c for 50 -60 minutes or until cake is cooked when tested. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst cake is cooling beat together the crème fraiche and icing sugar until frosting is thick, beat in the espresso coffee.
- Slice cake into 3 sections and fill with a thin layer of frosting.
- Assemble cake and use remaining frosting on the cake surface. Decorate with toffee Hazelnuts or flaked chocolate.
- Place the sugar and water in a large saucepan and heat stirring over a low heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat and boil until toffee begins to turn golden.
- Pour toffee over hazelnuts on a large tray covered in foil. Allow toffee to cool and harden.
- Break in shards and use as required.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 275g golden castor sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 125g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tblsp coffee powder
- 150g hazelnut, ground
- 100g dark chocolate, grated
- 2 x 200g Bulla Crème Fraiche
- 5 - 6 cups pure icing sugar
- 1 tblsp espresso coffee
- Toffee to garnish
- 4 cups castor sugar
- ½ cup water
- 150g toasted hazelnuts, skins removed
Serves: 8 - 10
Cooking Time: 1 Hour
This Torte will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days refrigerated.